When Ex is Not Paying Child Support (Australia Guide)

ex not paying child support | Dandenong Family Lawyers

“What happens if my ex isn’t paying child support in Australia?” This is a common concern following a divorce and the finalisation of settlements.

Unexpected halts in child support payments, especially before the age of 18, can lead to significant emotional and financial strain, potentially affecting the children’s welfare.

In Australia, mechanisms are in place to address these concerns, ensuring that children’s needs remain a priority despite the complexities of parental separation. 

This guide aims to navigate through the legal and practical steps available to parents facing such challenges, offering insights and solutions to enforce child support payments and safeguard the interests of their children. 

Can legal action be taken against an ex for not paying child support?

Yes, legal action can be taken against an ex for not paying child support in Australia. The Child Support Agency (CSA), part of Services Australia (formerly the Department of Human Services), is primarily responsible for managing child support arrangements and ensuring that payments are made and received according to the assessment.

How can I enforce child support payments from my ex?

If an ex-partner fails to pay child support, several enforcement measures can be applied, including but not limited to:

  1. Garnishing Wages or Bank Accounts: The CSA can direct employers or financial institutions to deduct child support payments directly from the paying parent’s wages or bank accounts.
  2. Tax Refund Intercept: The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) can be instructed to use any tax refund due to the non-paying parent to cover outstanding child support debts.
  3. Travel Restrictions: The CSA can request the Australian Federal Police to prevent someone with significant child support arrears from leaving Australia by placing them on the Departure Prohibition Order (DPO) list.
  4. Legal Proceedings: If other enforcement methods fail, the CSA or the receiving parent can initiate court proceedings against the non-paying parent, with the assistance of a family lawyer. The court has the authority to order payment of the outstanding child support, and failure to comply can result in penalties, including fines or imprisonment.
  5. Credit Reporting: Unpaid child support debts may be reported to credit agencies, potentially affecting the non-paying parent’s credit rating.

Both parents need to communicate and work through the CSA to resolve any issues related to child support payments. If there are genuine reasons for non-payment, such as a change in financial circumstances, it’s crucial to inform the CSA immediately so that the payment amount can be adjusted accordingly.

What government assistance is available if my ex doesn’t pay child support?

If your ex-partner is not paying child support, there are several forms of government assistance and support mechanisms available to help you manage financially and ensure your child’s needs are met. These include:

  • Family Tax Benefit (Part A): This payment is designed to help with the cost of raising children. It is paid per child, and the amount can increase if you are not receiving child support or if your income is below a certain threshold.
  • Parenting Payment: This is a social security payment for parents or guardians to help raise children. Eligibility and the amount received can depend on your income and assets, and whether or not you’re receiving child support.
  • Child Care Subsidy: This subsidy helps with approved childcare costs. The amount you can receive may be affected by your income, activity level, and child support.
  • Additional Child Care Subsidy: This is a top-up payment on top of the Child Care Subsidy for families experiencing temporary financial hardship due to various circumstances, including not receiving expected child support.
  • Legal Aid: While not a direct financial assistance program, Legal Aid can provide legal advice and representation for those dealing with child support issues, including pursuing unpaid child support through the legal system.
  • Centrelink Advance Payments: If you’re already receiving a Centrelink benefit, you may be eligible for an advance payment to help manage immediate financial needs, which you pay back later from your regular payments.
  • Child Support Collect: Through Services Australia (Child Support), the government can collect and transfer child support payments on your behalf. If your ex is not paying, they can take enforcement actions such as deducting money from the payer’s wages or tax return.

It’s important to inform the Department of Human Services if your ex-partner is not paying child support as expected. They can take steps to assess, collect, and enforce child support payments, ensuring that your children receive the financial support they are entitled to.

Also read: Who Pays for Child Health Insurance After Divorce Australia

Struggling with ex not paying child support in Australia?

If you’re struggling with an ex not paying child support in Australia, there are steps you can take to address the situation.

The Australian government provides mechanisms through the Child Support Agency (CSA) to enforce payment obligations. This includes directly deducting payments from wages, intercepting tax refunds, and implementing travel bans for severe cases. It’s crucial to report any non-payment issues to the CSA promptly to ensure your children’s needs are met.



Scroll to Top